Friday, May 2, 2008

Its the BIG INNING...

WED 19 mar 2008
Hey all! We made it! I tried to send a group email before, but according to some, it was not received. First things first...the toilets do NOT flush backwards here. Maybe some other part of Australia, but not in New South Wales, and definitely not in Tasmania. It was really hot when we first got here (39C or 102.2F), and we were ill-prepared to say the very least. The good people of Tasmania were also caught unawares of this spike in temperature...our hotel has no air conditioning...or insulation. Needless to say we were at a slow roast until today when it cooled down to 20C. Phew! The city of Hobart is beautiful with incredibly old architecture, and gum tree lined streets (it smells like eucalytus strongest in the morning). The people here are very welcoming and friendly, you can barely walk down the street without several people greeting you with a "how ya going" (my neck is tired from nodding politely). Food here is delicious, especially the dairy. They use very few preservatives and have different processes of pasteurization. Juice is unpasteurized...yet somehow there hasn't been a case of e.coli for over twenty years. Hmmmmm. It took me a while to order my first cup of coffee here, settling finally for a "flat white", it occurred to me at that moment that driving on the other side of the road wasn't going to be my only challenge. Anyhoo, I could go on and on, but I won't. I will write soon. xoxox-P

No comments: